August 19, 2008

One of the tomatoes I'm growing this year is called Japanese Black Trifele. It's weird that it's called Japanese when it's really Russian, but whatever. I was intrigued by the shape (it's an ox heart) and was told the taste was outstanding, so I went for it.

It was a good decision. Big producer, delicious tomatoes. Almost salty, but not overly so - I've found that, unlike most hybrids, the heirloom tomatoes I'm growing need hardly any salt - their flavor is intensely deep and rich without it. Plus they're cool looking. (both are the same tomato - I can't explain the difference in shape, I can only say that so far, that's the only tomato to come from that bush that is round like that)




They're beautiful, delicious, and prolific. I'll definitely grow this one again next year.

No comments: