August 1, 2008

Recently, I tried my hand at ground chicken kebabs. I pulled from several different recipes (originally inspired, though, by Jamie Oliver's lamb kofta kebabs), some of which called for egg and some of which didn't. Ultimately I went with the egg; I wish I hadn't. The resulting mixture became far too lose to form onto a kebab and really kind of turned into a nightmare on the grill. Next time, no egg.

Into the food processor, I threw some boneless skinless chicken breasts and pulsed until they were minced. Dumped into a bowl, then went back to the food processor and threw in an onion, coriander seeds, a goodly handful each of mint, flat-leaf (because the other kind isn't edible) parsley and cilantro. I pulsed that until it was almost a puree, then dumped that into the ground chicken along with salt, sumac (seriously delicious), cumin and a bit of nutmeg. Mixed it all up along with some egg. Tried to form into sausage-y stick things, but it didn't work very well. For the record: it was totally formable before the egg. Then we grilled it until it was done and stuffed it into some pita.

I made a quick pickled onion: thinly sliced red onion into a bowl. Sprinkle some kosher or other large-grained salt (please do not use table salt for this or for anything, actually because ew) over and sort of smush the onion slices with the salt. Squeeze some lemon over top. Let it sit, but not overnight or anything because the onions will degrade and turn mushy and that's not yummy. At all.



I also sliced some tomatoes from the garden; on the right is the lovely heirloom Black Krim, on the left is the hybrid Champion (which, btw, gives a shit-ton of fruit)



Mmmmmmmmeat



The finished product all wrapped up in a pita with some romaine, homemade tzatziki (arabic or greek yogurt, grated and strained cucumber (from my garden because god, I am rad), garlic, mint (which is also from my garden because, well, you know), lemon juice and salt and pepper) and some delicious banana chiles (again, garden):





It was so, so, so delicious.

No comments: